Chicago-Midwest

10,000 Blacks Rallied In Chicago For "Dignity" Call by Business Icon Ed Gardner

UPDATE

Sunday September 30th was indeed proven locally and nationally to be "DIGNITY DAY" where thousands of Black residents publicly demonstrated in the streets in "intergenerational operational unity" ways not seen in over 20 years - for the reputation and legacy of legendary Black business icon Ed Gardner who made the call for 10,000 Blacks to unite in unity to start a new campaign at fighting for Black contracts and Black construction workers on city projects and especially in majority Black communities where Blacks have suffered through violence from watching thousands of qualified workers forced into the gang, drug, and other illegal street economies versus the legal work they could be doing on the construction and other economic empowerment projects in the city and majority Black communities.

This intergenerational organizing event was one of the most challenging and the most satisfying event that truly was supported by 10,000 Black citizens, despite the hundreds of calls we got during the march from hundreds of citizens who said that traffic blocks at 87th and 95th Streets blocked so many of them from jumping out of their cars and walking dozens of blocks to get to the march while hundreds of others made it to the site almost at the end, and hundreds of others who never made it at all.

LEGENDARY ICON ED GARDNER "DIGNITY DAYS" MOBILIZATION CONTINUES ON BEHALF NEW MOVEMENT TO CHALLENGE THE LACK OF BLACK COMMUNITY CONTRACTORS AND WORKERS ON CONSTRUCTION SITES

Gardner using his moral authority to bring together leadership from generation to generation and a mass movement of 10,000 on Sunday for Black people to declare their dignity in fighting for the Black communities fair share of construction contracts and workers according their population of urban cities. And most importantly, Gardner is challenging our urban city Mayors, elected officials and construction industry to stop using the language of "minority" as an excuse for why the construction industry can continue to come into a 40% Black populated city and majority Black communities and continue to produce less than 10% of city contracts and Black community construction workers. Ed Gardner is fighting this economic violence as the best way to stop so many qualified unemployed Black construction workers from being forced into trying to survive in violent and life threatening illegal street economies when they are qualified to legal work on these construction sites.

WHO CARES? -- Many mainstream news observers have begun to make it clear to me and others that while the symbolism of Mr. Gardner have been good photo-ops and sound bites thus far that the game changer for whether or not this issue will get the level of respect it deserves happens this Sunday September 30th and whether or not 10,000 Blacks and others who support this issue will actually physically show up and respond to Mr. Gardners "Dignity Day" call.

THE SIGNS ARE BEGINNING TO SHOW -- "NOT SINCE HAROLD WASHINGTON"  I am blessed to have been a youth organizer for the historic '83 campaign for Mayor Harold Washington and in part I would not have been empowered to play the role that I and other young people did in '83 had it not been for this same Mr. Ed Gardner providing the funds for the "Come Alive October Five" Voter Registration and Voter Education Campaign. And as a young person I watched how this effort brought together so many cross sections of the Black community leadership, many of whom had various personal issues with each other and after many many meetings they set aside their personal issues with each other to focus on their unity behind Harold Washington. Today, Mr. Gardner these past few days have brought out this same kind of coming together as I have watched people showing up at the 92nd & Western construction site and in other strategy meetings across the city to support Mr. Gardner - airing out their tensions and divisions with each other and then responded to Mr. Gardners challenge to them to set aside those differences and focus on their united front behind him and THAT'S HAPPENING !!

ALL ROADS LEADING TO PROTECTING THE "DIGNITY" AND LEGACY OF ED GARDNER ON SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 30TH WITH THE 10,000 SHOW OF SUPPORT

Its become the main and ONLY focus or religious, political, elected, business, students, and other grassroots leaders, talk show hosts, radio personalities, social media sites etc that there is NO PRIORITY issue this week more important than connecting the dots from all these constituencies and audiences than ensuring that 10,000 people show up and respond to Mr. Gardners call to rally at 95th & Western. Their are so many pundits in the local and national media just waiting to report that despite all the many efforts to galvanize the Black community that even the appeal of an icon like Gardner couldnt stimulate a much needed movement and with that all of these leadership groups are vowing that if this is the last major public movement led by Ed Gardner that it will be recorded as successful.

COME ALIVE OCTOBER FIVE AND COME ALIVE OCTOBER NINE !!

After the anticipated successful rally of 10,000 in support of Mr. Gardner's call Sunday September 30th that the next stage of this movement should be announced on the October Five date and should be done at the historic building that housed the first historic October Five event which is the headquarters of Gardners former Soft Sheen Products Company, Gardners Black on Black Love Organization as well as the historic Black talk radio station WVON, and then with civic and political empowerment needed in part to sustain this type of movement I suggest that we continue this effort with a "Come Alive October Nine" event to encourage thousands of unregistered voters to register and vote on the last day of voter registration October Nine.!!

COME ALIVE OCTOBER FIVE AND COME ALIVE OCTOBER NINE !!

You need to be a member of TheBlackList Pub to add comments!

Join TheBlackList Pub

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

This reply was deleted.
https://theblacklist.net/