For All Points-Of-The-View.
There is lead in the water and the city is doing nothing about it. Recent studies have found high amounts of lead, a neurotoxin that is unsafe at any level, in the water of Chicago homes. There are over 400,000 lead service lines -- all installed by a mandate from the city despite the known hazards -- poisoning the residents of the Chicago. The poisoning of the city disproportionately effects children, our schools, poor and oppressed people. Mayor Emanuel says he will do nothing. That is criminal! We are fighting back and together we will get the lead out! Sign and share the petition to demand LEAD OUT NOW and join the campaign!
** Join us tomorrow, Sat., June 16, for the first petitioning and visibility outreach of the campaign. Meet us at our office at 1 pm at 3460 W. Lawrence. No experience required. We are fighting to stop the people who run this city from poisoning children, our schools, poor and oppressed people. Join us! **
Our Petition Demands:
Whereas no level of lead in the drinking water is safe, we, the people of Chicago, demand (at a minimum)
1. That the City of Chicago immediately begin replacing the over 400,000 lead service lines that are poisoning the residents of the city.
2. That all lead is removed from the city's schools immediately.
3. That comprehensive water quality testing -- especially in poor, Black and Latino neighborhoods -- take place immediately in order to fully understand the scope and depths of Chicago water’s contamination.
4. That free high-quality filtration systems be provided to all residents of the city immediately.
5. That the city provide reparations and compensation to those already negatively affected by lead in the water.
6. A fully funded clean up of the city that removes all toxic chemicals from the environment.
SOURCE: ANSWER (Chicago) Coalition